His Dark Materials Trilogy: The Golden Compass

By Phillip Pullman

I know I have always enjoyed reading YA fiction, but it has turned into pretty much all I am reading. I think I have husband to thank for that. Arguably, it is some of the most enjoyable literature out there, packed full of adventure, light-hearted lessons, empowerment of self...but here I am reading another YA fiction series. And I do not regret it.

The Golden Compass is about a girl named Lyra, who lives in a world where all humans have daemons who serve as constant companions. She has an uncle who is an explorer, but she has no mother or father. Raised by scholars at Oxford, she has a tendency to not always listen to lectures, and often go places she may or may not be allowed to go. Sometimes this adventerous spirit of hers can get her into some trouble. But soon her adventerous spirit, through a series of seemingly accidental events and spur-of-the-moment decisions made by a child, turns into a battle for her, her daemon and her friends lives.

Though written for a young adult audience, this book is never once tempted to "write easy" or "dumb down." The writing is smart, and the pace reminds me of novels written earlier in the 20th century when language took precedence over action so even though these books are filled with action and adventure, it is presented with such subtle and crafted language that the world comes alive. Pullman doesn't have to fill the dead space in his book with over-the-top scenarios or inconseqeuential or secondary plot lines. He weaves a perfect tale so that you are dripping over each morsel from the climactic battle scene to the more sedated scenes of travel by sea or snow.

The philosophical undertones don't hurt either. Not only does Pullman discuss and question the possibility of parallel universes, but there is an underlying theme of the balancing act between fate and choice and though the reader is early to discover that Lyra's importance is great, Lyra herself must remain oblivious to this importance if she is to successfully carry out her destiny.

I have to give kudos to a YA author who surprises me. Pullman did at every turn. As soon as the plot would thicken or a new element would be introduced I found myself gasping "Aha!" but not in that "I knew it all along" way that some novels have OR in the "What? That seems like a trick" sort of way that often is dissapointing in its own right, but in a "I can't believe I didn't see that coming!" sort of way. There are clues sprinkled and peppered about the whole story, but I was still so surprised when something seemingly obvious would emerge from the shadows, teasing me.

I recommend this series to anybody. I am simultaneously reading the Dragon Tattoo series and though those are enjoyable enough I can unequivicably say that His Dark Materials trilogy is much more masterfully written, much more entertaining, and will leave you feeling utterly satisfied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15/30

All caught up!