What's in a name?

The preview line of the email read "Holy shit. I just realized your not A. Davis anymore."

What a conflicting thing to read. I felt immediately smug that my new last name is Mojgani which means I married a man that I love and I loved him enough that it made sense that we would share a name. He agreed to take mine as his middle name so we are going quasi-modern on this one.

But after the smug pride of being married came defensiveness. I am too a Davis! I have years of christmas trees and scraped knees, bee stings,  camping trips and popsicle summers to prove it. I can tell you about how my brother cracked his head open on the basement-stair overhang or just the way he sounded when scaring me by howling "I'm Old! Warn Away!" Davis means long car rides and getting sick off of cheezits and tall grass adventures at the ocean. When cousin peed her pants in the back yard. Playing office in the graveyard tree. The gray ghost. Crunching cans, burning ears of indian corn, pouring ice-skating rinks on the bricks at the Steger's. Blue angel bicycle rides. Summer bar-b-ques in the back. Cousin club christmas carols (sorry kelly and brianne). Davis is tattooed on my skin in the day-i-fell-off-the-cherry-tree scar. In the cut-my-finger-open-with-my-pocket-knife-I-got-from-being-a-YMCA-indian-princess scar. Buckin' bronco oceanside nights stretching out as far as the ocean. Far back as I can remember. I got Davis so deep and wide in me I don't know how to be anything else.

I'll take Mojgani with smug pride and warm belly love. Smile when I sign credit card transactions or say "Yes I will spell that for you..." It is not that I want to give Mojgani up and take Davis back. I couldn't because I never lost Davis. Mojgani is like a job title. A description of something I do: Hi. I am Alexis. I am great with kids, I love puppies, I don't often finish things I start or start things I want to do, my last name is Mojgani, and I am a Davis.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15/30

All caught up!