The Lost Years

(are these good enough for you, April? cos I am not convinced)

5/30
I wrote the start of a book about vaginas and four letter words and starvation and war. I won't finish it. I watched a movie about relationships. I won't finish those either. I wrote the start of a poem it goes like this: I was born a winter baby all inconvenience, ice and cold.

6/30
List of things viewed from the seven windows of the sun room: (Giddings Street, Chicago)
1. two ladies, young in appearance, wearing red jeans.
2. one squirrel, crosses the road, refuses a tree, scampers about the neighbors gate. I am distracted by a pigeon (who reminds me of a general) and lose track of the squirrel. He has crossed through three windows, reminding me of cartoon panels.
3. the bottom half of a flier, stuck to a tree, flaps in the wind.
4. three small birds (wrens?) land in the grass. Squirrel and Pigeon are there too.
5. tall and lanky man. I am overcome by a desire to marry him.
6. kids running. baby goes on a winter walk with a dad wearing strikingly white pants.
7. the sound of the El

7/30
I am thinking about Chicago. About being
far away and how spending days reading
inside puts me in no-mans-land.
I am thinking about Ben and how I should tell
him I love him. Because I did, anyway, and what
if that never comes back? And so what if I am
forgetting.
I am thinking about volunteering at the local
hospital and about the boy we saw
getting cuffed at dinner last night.
I am thinking about the way our silverware
clanked at the table.
I am thinking about Robert's carpet, how
green it was, how dark his room was, how many things
I said that I shouldn't have. and things I didn't say that I
should have. Count them.
I am thinking about two days inside, reading
and how I am nowhere.

8/30
“when next she sets you under her ear to fall asleep/ whisper into it/ tell her/ that the river is a canyon in reverse/ and so the echoes all come back to it/ the voice come home” –anis mojgani

On a futon in San Diego I swallow
the entire Pacific Ocean. My ear
pressing against flesh, pressing against
alabaster bone and inside his chest
lives a whale.

I can hear the ocean when
he breathes. I hold his chest up
to my head like a sun-bleached
shell, pull his ribcage from his
ligaments. I am the air that forces
expansion. He is a cavern,
full of waves while my body makes a
canopy for the gulls.

Now my ear
becomes a canyon, in reverse.
His heartbeat
is drowning and the ocean is a cadence
counting waves. I am
seventy percent salt-water
now my ear
releases symphonies and rivers
and his chest is full of ocean and
his chest is an echo.

On a futon in San Diego I will
sleep--swallow the entire
Pacific Ocean, and let my river
find a way home.

9/30
Animal Parts

There are spider webs in my brain and
if this wall was ten feet
higher it would contain me

I have jumping beans in my thighs and
crude-oil in the blood near my heart.
I use a broomstick to clean
out my windpipe every second
Tuesday of the month so
to keep out all the amphibians.

There are six-toed sloths eating
moth-balls and falling ill behind
my left eye. You can only
see them when I laugh. More
obviously when I am laughing
at you. And

a family of spider monkeys have
taken refuge in the left
over left ventricle of my heart so
all of my feelings have gone
bananas. It is why I swallow
birds eggs and helps to explain
all this fluttering and beating
my chest cavity has to endure.

I guess the spider webs are more
like cobwebs. The spiders crawl out
my ears in my dreams. And
if I could dream walls
that were ten feet taller I
wouldn’t have these birds in
my heart.

Comments

  1. i was scrolling up from the bottom to read them in order so when i made the above comment, i hadnt noticed that the one i had read was number nine and that there were four others above it in the same entry, so the above "and how" was for poem number nine. though it can also be applied to the rest of them.
    comments for the other ones.
    ahem.
    5
    i like five a lot. it rules.

    6
    1. that the pigeon reminds you of a general. also rulesworthy.
    2."Squirrel and Pigeon are there."
    3. 5.
    4. "strikingly white pants"

    7
    "silverware clanked at the table"

    8
    "ocean is a cadence counting waves"
    "I am seventy-percent salt water"

    9
    1. broomstick to clean...
    2. why i swallow bird eggs
    3. the last stanza
    4. i would like to give constructive criticism on this one cuz it is tasty but i dont know of that's the purpose of posting these for you. but let me know if you would like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7/30 was really interesting to read. Weird to hear some of those names thrown out there.

    8/30 I really loved. It also reminds me of a story you had told me. That camp boy maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. britters, you win!!!! one, because you comment. two because it is about "that camp boy". Roody. Well done you. Gold crown. Huzzahs. A pet lizard. i miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and anis. please constructively criticize me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 8/30

    "I am the air that forces expansion".

    I like this. and the whole poem, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

15/30

All caught up!